Well, the events in the Horn of Africa are never dull. One of the theories behind the timing of the Westgate Mall attack in Nairobi was that al Shabaab did it to distract from its internal problems and their killing of popular foreign fighter Omar Hammami. This morning, it appears Omar Hammami started tweeting from the grave. The Twitter handle @abumamerican, allegedly that of Omar Hammami, unleashed a torrent against al Shabaab’s emir Ahmed Godane for killing Omar. The account went on to make some interesting suggestions about the Westgate attacks.
Who is making these tweets? Who knows? I’ve discussed here that Omar might actually be a zombie, but the account says that Omar did actually die. Whomever it is, they are clearly fans of Omar and haters of Godane and al Shabaab. Here are some of the interesting tweets I’ve seen so far.
- al Shabaab is still in close contact with AQAP – The account states AQAP is still in close contact with Godane and Shabaab. So was there an al Qaeda connection to this Westgate Mall attack? I think Shabaab could probably execute this attack on their own. But, why would this account and the person behind it know if AQAP and Shabaab were still collaborating? Remember, Omar alluded to the links between AQAP and Shabaab a long while ago.
- How do we know al Shabaab was behind the attacks? – This account suggests that there is no proof of al Shabaab being behind the attacks. Essentially saying that Shabaab may be taking credit for something that someone else did. But, they don’t offer any opposing theories and the account states it was not Shabaab dissenters that pulled off the attack. Hmmm, the Muslim Youth Center (MYC) twitter account has been strangely silent since the attack. Was this a Shabaab affiliate operation? No way to know who is really responsible at this point I guess, but an interesting take by the Omar account.
- The account has one thing in common with the Tea Party; they don’t like taxes – The account picks up where Omar left off in discussion of taxes and how Shabaab uses qat to fund its operations. I guess they think this argument has resonance with the locals.
- The account also has something in common with the Occupy Movement; they are the 99% – The second strange argument is the alluding to Godane being a high-minded elite that doesn’t share with the people. I guess this is also a “rally the locals” approach against Godane.
- The last straw: Shabaab took away the Hammami family phone charger – OK, if you didn’t think it was already bad enough that Shabaab led by Godane has killed Somalis in southern Somalia, likely attacked the Westgate mall and has killed Omar Hammami, they have done what all of us know is the last unspeakable thing – Taken the phone charger from Omar’s family. This is something us in the West can totally relate to and get behind. Screw taxes and the 99%, a phone charger, for Shabaab dissenters it turns out, is quite important; especially when you try to rally support via social media.
Check out the arguments for yourself, it’s interesting to say the least. If Omar Hammami shows up again, we’ll know this is the start of the zombie apocalypse: Wolrd War Z – conveniently available on DVD right now.